||Professor, Principal Investigator
||Cell Biology, Intracellular protein trafficking, cellular organization
- Research Profile
- Selected Publications
Sven van IJzendoorn received his Master degree at the University of Maastricht in 1995 and his PhD degree (cum laude) at the University of Groningen (laboratory of Dick Hoekstra) in 1999. With a long-term fellowship of the Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) he performed his postdoctoral studies at the University of California San Francisco (UCSF) in the laboratory of Keith Mostov.
He then returned to the Netherlands to start his research group in the department of Cell Biology at the University Medical Center Groningen, where he is currently appointed as full professor. His research focusses on the molecular mechanisms that control the intracellular dynamics of proteins, lipids and membranes in the context of the functional organization of cells, and to understand how these mechanisms contribute to health or, when disrupted, to human diseases. In this context, his research also focusses on elucidating the pathogenesis of rare congenital disorders, develop patient-specific iPSC-based cell models and identify leads for novel therapeutic strategies.
Sven van IJzendoorn is member of the board of the Netherlands Association for the Study of the Liver (NASL), member of the advisory board of the Dutch Society for Cell Biology, member of the editorial board of ‘Tissue Barriers’, curator of the international registry of patients with microvillus inclusion disease, and program leader of the UMCG Center for Liver, Digestive & Metabolic Diseases.
- Overeem AW, Posovszky C, Rings EH, Giepmans BN, van IJzendoorn SC. 2016. The role of enterocyte defects in the pathogenesis of congenital diarrheal disorders. Dis Model Mech. Jan;9(1):1-12. (pdf)
- Overeem AW, Bryant DM, van IJzendoorn SC. 2015. Mechanisms of apical-basal axis orientation and epithelial lumen positioning. Trends Cell Biol. Aug;25(8):476-85. (pdf)
- Polishchuk EV, Concilli M, Iacobacci S, Chesi G, Pastore N, Piccolo P, Paladino S, Baldantoni D, van IJzendoorn SC, Chan J, Chang CJ, Amoresano A, Pane F, Pucci P, Tarallo A, Parenti G, Brunetti-Pierri N, Settembre C, Ballabio A, Polishchuk RS. 2014. Wilson disease protein ATP7B utilizes lysosomal exocytosis to maintain copper homeostasis. Dev Cell. Jun 23;29(6):686-700. (pdf)
- Dhekne HS, Hsiao NH, Roelofs P, Kumari M, Slim CL, Rings EH, van Ijzendoorn SC. 2014. Myosin Vb and Rab11a regulate phosphorylation of ezrin in enterocytes. J Cell Sci. Mar 1;127(Pt 5):1007-17. (pdf)
- Slim CL, Lázaro-Diéguez F, Bijlard M, Toussaint MJ, de Bruin A, Du Q, Müsch A, van Ijzendoorn SC. 2013. Par1b induces asymmetric inheritance of plasma membrane domains via LGN-dependent mitotic spindle orientation in proliferating hepatocytes. PLoS Biol. Dec;11(12):e1001739. (pdf)
- Lázaro-Diéguez F, Cohen D, Fernandez D, Hodgson L, van Ijzendoorn SC, Müsch A. 2013. Par1b links lumen polarity with LGN-NuMA positioning for distinct epithelial cell division phenotypes. J Cell Biol. Oct 28;203(2):251-64. (pdf)
- van der Velde KJ, Dhekne HS, Swertz MA, Sirigu S, Ropars V, Vinke PC, Rengaw T, van den Akker PC, Rings EH, Houdusse A, van Ijzendoorn SC. 2013. An overview and online registry of microvillus inclusion disease patients and their MYO5B mutations. Hum Mutat. Dec;34(12):1597-605. (pdf)
- Van Der Werf CS, Wabbersen TD, Hsiao NH, Paredes J, Etchevers HC, Kroisel PM, Tibboel D, Babarit C, Schreiber RA, Hoffenberg EJ, Vekemans M, Zeder SL, Ceccherini I, Lyonnet S, Ribeiro AS, Seruca R, Te Meerman GJ, van Ijzendoorn SC, Shepherd IT, Verheij JB, Hofstra RM. CLMP is required for intestinal development, and loss-of-function mutations cause congenital short-bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2012 Mar;142(3):453-462.e3. (pdf)
- Juuti-Uusitalo K, Klunder LJ, Sjollema KA, Mackovicova K, Ohgaki R, Hoekstra D, Dekker J, van Ijzendoorn SC. 2011. Differential effects of TNF (TNFSF2) and IFN-γ on intestinal epithelial cell morphogenesis and barrier function in three-dimensional culture. PLoS One.;6(8):e22967. (pdf)
- Szperl AM, Golachowska MR, Bruinenberg M, Prekeris R, Thunnissen AM, Karrenbeld A, Dijkstra G, Hoekstra D, Mercer D, Ksiazyk J, Wijmenga C, Wapenaar MC, Rings EH, van IJzendoorn SC. 2011. Functional characterization of mutations in the myosin Vb gene associated with microvillus inclusion disease. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. Mar;52(3):307-13. (pdf)