||Professor, Principal Investigator
||Molecular and Cellular Biology
- Research Profile
- Selected Publications
Ody C.M. Sibon received her PhD in 1994 in Molecular Cell Biology at the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. She studied the topological organization of transcription and splicing at the ultrastructural level under the supervision of Prof. A.J. Verkleij. She then moved to the United States, were she studied the role of DNA checkpoint regulation during early embryonal development in Drosophila melanogaster at the University of Stoney brook, NY. Her postdoctoral advisor was prof. W.E. Theurkauf.
In 1998 she moved to the University of Groningen, the Netherlands were she started her own group. In 2002 she received a VIDI grant and in 2011 a VICI grant, both from the Dutch organization for Scientific research. Her research now is focussed on understanding the mechanisms of an altered Coenzyme A uptake route and the possibilities of this route in health and disease. She is named as inventor on several patents based on her discoveries related to Coenzyme A metabolism and she is developing these further towards therapies for Coenzyme A-related diseases. In 2009 she became a full professor. She is partner and/or coordinator of several European, American and Dutch grants.
- Anita I. E. Faber, Marianne van der Zwaag, Hein Schepers, Ellie Eggens-Meijer, Bart Kanon, Carmen IJsebaart, Jeroen Kuipers, Ben N.G. Giepmans, Raimundo Freire, Nicola A. Grzeschik, Catherine Rabouille, Ody C.M. Sibon. Vps13 is required for timely removal of nurse cell corpses. Development 2020. 147: dev191759 doi: 10.1242/dev.191759 Pdf
- Suh Young Jeong, Penelope Hogarth, ….. , Ody C M Sibon, & Susan J 4’-Phosphopantetheine corrects CoA, iron and dopamine metabolic defects in mammalian models of PKAN. EMBO MOL MED 2019 Dec;11(12):e10489 (pdf)
- Roald Lambrechts, Yu Yi, Hein Schepers, Marianne van der Zwaag, Kaija Autio, Marina A. Tijssen, Susan Hayflick, Nicola Grzeschik, Ody Sibon. Linkage of CoA and pyruvate dehydrogenase reveals a pathway affected in neurodegenerative diseases. EMBO MOL MED 2019 Dec;11(12):e10488 . (pdf) Artikel 59 and 59 are published back-to-back in the December issue 2019, the manuscripts were also honoured with the frontcover of this issue
- Yeshaw WM, van der Zwaag M, Pinto F, Lahaye LL, Faber AI, Gómez-Sánchez R, Dolga AM, Poland C, Monaco AP, van IJzendoorn S, Grzeschik NA, Velayos-Baeza A, Sibon OC. Human VPS13A is associated with multiple organelles and influences mitochondrial morphology and lipid droplet motility. eLife 2019 Feb 11;8. pii: e43561. (pdf)
- Iuso A, …., Sibon OCM & Anikster Y (2018). Mutations in PPCS, Encoding Phosphopantothenoylcysteine Synthetase, Cause Autosomal-Recessive Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Am J Hum Genet 2018 Jun; 102 (6): 1018-1030. (pdf)
- Ody C.M. Sibon & Erick Strauss. Coenzyme A: make it or (re) uptake it. Nature Reviews in Molecular Cell Biology (2016) 10:605-606 (pdf)
- Srinivasan, M. Baratashvili, M. Van der Zwaag, B. Kanon, C. Colombelli, R.A. Lambrechts, O. Schaap, E.A.A. Nollen, A. Podgoršek, G. Kosec, H. Petković, S. Hayflick, V. Tiranti, D.J. Reijngoud, N.A. Grzeschik, Ody C.M. Sibon. Extracellular 4’-Phosphopantetheine is a source for intracellular Coenzyme A synthesis. Nature Chemical Biology 2015 Oct;11(10):784-792. (pdf) Accompanied by a New and Views item
- Den Hoed M,….Sibon OCM*, et al. Heart rate-associated loci and their effects on cardiac conduction and rhythm disorders. (Nature Genetics 2013 Jun;45(6):621-31. (pdf) *All included functional Drosophila melanogaster experiments of this GWAS study were chaired by Sibon OCM.
- Katarzyna Siudeja K, Xu L, Srinivasan B, Rana A, Jong JJ,Jackowski S, Hayflick S and Sibon OCM. Impaired Coenzyme A metabolism affects histone and tubulin acetylation in a Drosophila and human cell model of the neurodegenerative disorder PKAN. EMBO MOL MED 2011 12:755-66 . (pdf)
- Rana A, Seinen E, Siudeja K, Muntendam R, Srinivasan B, van der Want J, Hayflick S, Reijngoud D, Kayser O, Sibon OCM. Pantethine rescues a Drosophila model for Pantothenate Kinase-Associated Neurodegeneration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 107:6988-93. (pdf)