Assistant Professor, Principal Investigator
Ultrastructural characterization of the process of autophagy
- Cui Y, Parashar S, Zahoor M, Needham PG, Mari M, Zhu M, Chen S, Ho H.-C, Reggiori F, Farhan H, Brodsky JL, Ferro-Novick S, Lst1/SEC24C is required to package ER into autophagosomes for ER-phagy. 2019. Science, Vol. 365, Issue 6448, pp. 53-60.. Pdf.
- Mauthe M, Orhon I, Rocchi C, Zhou X, Luhr M, Hijlkema KJ, Coppes RP, Engedal N, MariM*, ReggioriF* (*, co-corresponding authors) (2018). Chloroquine inhibits autophagic flux by decreasing autophagosome-lysosome fusion. 14(8):1435-1455. pdf
- Gómez-Sánchez R, Rose J, Guimarães R, Mari M, Papinski D, Rieter E, Geerts WJ, Hardenberg R, Kraft C, Ungermann C, Reggiori F (2018). Atg9 establishes Atg2-dependent contact sites between the endoplasmic reticulum and phagophores. J Cell Biol. Aug 6;217(8):2743-2763. pdf
- Eisenberg-Bord M, Mari M, Weill U, Rosenfeld-Gur E, Moldavski O, Castro IG, Soni KG, Harpaz N, Levine TP, Futerman AH, Reggiori F, Bankaitis VA, Schuldiner M, Bohnert M. (2018). Identification of seipin-linked factors that act as determinants of a lipid droplet subpopulation. J Cell Biol. Jan 2;217(1):269-282. pdf
- Zhou X, Cong Y, Veenendaal T, Klumperman J, Shi D, Mari M*, Reggiori F* (*, co-corresponding authors) (2017). Ultrastructural characterization of membrane rearrangements induced by porcine epidemic diarrhea virus infection. Sep 5;9(9). pdf
- Lassen KG, McKenzie CI, Mari M, Murano T, Begun J, Baxt LA, Goel G, Villablanca EJ, Kuo S.-Y., Huang H, Macia L, Bhan A, Batten M, Daly MJ, Reggiori F, Mackay CR, Xavier RK (2016). Genetic coding variant in GPR65 alters lysosomal pH and links lysosomal dysfunction with colitis risk. Jun 21;44(6):1392-405. pdf
- Khaminets A, Heinrich T, Mari M, Grumati P, Huebner AK, Akutsu M, Liebmann L, Stolz A, Nietzsche S, Koch N, Mauthe M, Katon I, Qualmann B, Weis J, Reggiori F, Kurth I, Hübner CA, Dikic I (2015). Regulation of endoplasmic reticulum homeostasis by FAM134B-mediated selective autophagy. Nature, 522, 354-358. pdf
- Mari M, Geerts WJ, Reggiori F (2014). Immuno- and correlative light microscopy-electron tomography methods for 3D protein localization in yeast. Traffic, 15, 1164-78. pdf
- Mari M, Griffith J, Reggiori F (2014). Nanogold labeling of the yeast endosomal system for ultrastructural analyses. J Vis Exp. pdf
- Hönscher C, Mari M, Auffarth K, Bohnert M, Griffith J, Geerts W, van der Laan M, Cabrera M, Reggiori F, Ungermann C (2014), Cellular metabolism regulates contact sites of vacuoles with mitochondria. Dev Cell, 30, 86-94. pdf
- Nair U, Mari M, Baba M, Yen WL, Xie Z, Cao Y, Reggiori F, Klionsky DJ (2012). A role for Atg8-PE deconjugation in autophagosome biogenesis Autophagy, 8, 780-93. pdf
- Mari M, Griffith J, Rieter E, Krishnappa L, Klionsky DJ, Reggiori F (2010). An Atg9-containing compartment that functions in the early steps of autophagosome biogenesis. J Cell Biol, 190, 1005-1022. pdf
- Griffith J, Mari M, De Mazière A, Reggiori F (2008). A cryosectioning procedure for the ultrastructural analysis and the immunogold labelling of yeast S. Cerevisiae. Traffic, 9, 1060-1072.
- Mari M, Reggiori F (2007). Review/opinion: Shaping membranes into autophagosomes. Nat Cell Biol, 10, 1125-7. pdf
- Mari M, Bujny MV, Zeuschner D, Geerts WJ, Griffith J, Petersen CM, Cullen PJ, Klumperman J, Geuze HJ (2008). SNX1 defines an early endosomal recycling exit for sortilin and mannose 6-phosphate receptors. Traffic, 3, 380-93. pdf
Our research is subdivided into two major areas of interest:
1) Investigation of the membrane rearrangements underlying the biogenesis of the autophagosomes, the vesicular carriers that are the hallmark of autophagy. For our studies, we are mostly using yeast, Saccharomyces cerevisiae, as a model system. Studies are performed using immuno-electron microscopy, tomography and correlative electron and light microscopy methods, that we have adapted to explore the ultrastructure of this organism.
3D-reconstruction of an autophagosomal intermediate using immuno-electron tomography. Left panel. Reconstruction of an autophagosomal intermediate obtained from a tomogram, superposed to one of the tomogram images. Right panel. The same structure observed from a different angle. Grey and green circular structures, cargoes; blue, phagophore; yellow, endoplasmic reticulum; red, mitochondrion; dark grey, vacuole.
2) Improvement and development of new electron microscopy approaches to increase the number of biological questions that can be addressed with these techniques.
Our expertise in electron microscopy approaches is giving us the opportunity to have numerous collaborations on studies multiple cell biological topics and in various organisms.
We participate in the Groningen Autophagy Group.
2018: Earth and Life Sciences (ALW) open program grant (3 years)
2016: “Equipment funds” grant, UMCG, NL
Awards and honors:
2004 Marie Curie Fellowship, program for two years post-doctoral position in the Department of Cell biology, UMC Utrecht, the Netherlands
2003 Fellowship INSERM “bourse des Français a l’étranger”, program for one year post-doctoral position in the Department of Cell biology, UMC Utrecht, the Netherlands
2002 Fellowship INSERM/NH&MRC program for a scientific visit to Garvan Institute of Medical Research, Sydney, Australia
Though there is currently not a defined research project, Masters students, from the different Master Programs at the University of Groningen, and technician trainees, from the different “Hogeschools” in the Netherlands, are welcome to contact Dr. Muriel Mari to discuss further internship possibilities.
You can apply via this application form.
Thomas Wassner (2006, visiting Postdoctoral fellow)
Leticia Lemus (2015, visiting PhD student)
Ann-Katrin Unger (2013, visiting PhD student)
Xingdong Zhou (PhD student, CSC fellowship, Graduation in December 2017)
Stephanie Kappes (2010–2011)
Ester Rieter (2007-2008)
Laurent Yvan-Charvet (2000)
Kerst-Jan Hijlkema (2015-2016)
Marinke van Oooschot (2009-2010)